Electrical cords pose a threat to playful animals as they pounce and bite the "snakelike" toy, or to the "indiscriminate chewers".
- Sudden cry
- Burns on corner of mouth
- Not breathing
- Difficulties breathing
- Oral Lesions (ulcers/sloughing/foul odor)
First Aid: If the animal is still attached to or close to the electrical cord, unplug the appliance. Unplug only if you can avoid touching the animal and the live wires. Otherwise, turn off the electricity prior to separating the animal from the power source.
Transfer the animal to a veterinary facility as soon as possible when you have become aware of or suspect an electrocution. Every victim needs a thorough examination, with possible chest radiographs. The secondary (long term) signs develop within hours and can potentially become fatal if not monitored and treated accordingly.
- Cover electric cords.
- Keep extension cords to a minimum.
- Always be aware of young animals and pocket pets and their activities, if they are allowed free range of the home.
- If the animal is kenneled or caged, make sure all electric cords are well out of reach of being pulled in.